Sign the Petition
When Elected Mayor of NYC, I Will End Animal Kill Shelters. Help Me Make NYC a No-Kill Shelter City. Sign The Petition to Tell The City Council to Make NYC a No-Kill Shelter City.
We need to call for the city to end “kill shelters.”
As a city touting itself as progressive, we have one of the least progressive animal shelters in NYC. Los Angeles has no-kill shelters already and we can follow their model to create the same success in NYC.
ACC has euthanized 2,110 cats and dogs across its three shelters this year, records through August show, but the organization says 90 percent of all animals were placed in homes during that time.
Guardian Angels founder Curtis Sliwa said the ACC may euthanize animals in less than 24 hours even though adoptions can take longer.
“No one gives them a stay of execution,” Sliwa said. “The process is just too slow.”
I will work tirelessly to help end the city’s animal “kill” shelters and the practice of euthanizing dogs and cats!
- No-Kill NYC. As a city touting itself as progressive, we have one of the least progressive animal shelters in NYC. Los Angeles has no kill shelters already and we can follow their model to create the same success in NYC.
- Using a portion NYC shelter funding to make spay/neuter available to all NYC residents which will stem the tide of unwanted animals coming into shelters.
- Using a portion of shelter funding to spay/neuter outdoor community animals stemming the amount of animals coming into shelters. (NYC Council unanimously approved this several years ago and Cuomo vetoed it so definitely has support already)
- Elevating Crimes Against Animals by putting more cops in this dedicated division and holding DA’s offices responsible for active prosecution of such offenders (this is incredibly important in also addressing the link between those who abuse people having first started off abusing animals – this early identification and treatment/prosecution of such individuals would ultimately lead to less offenses against citizens)
- Fighting the oppressive regulations about animals in homes, such as NYCHA’s fairly new regulation banning dogs over 15 pounds and creating incentives for landlords to ease restrictions on animal bans in rental apartments. These are 2 HUGE reasons why people have to give up pets they have owned for years and needs to stop.